Are you someone who’ve always wanted a beautiful lawn, but is too lazy to do something? Or maybe you want to do something but have no idea where to start from. In both cases, this article is perfect for you.
The key to a beautiful lawn is definitely the green grass covering, which you can achieve easily through the help of grass seeds. There are a lot of varieties in the market for you to choose from.
But if you’re not sure which grass seeds are the best, or how to plant them in the soil, read on! Because here, we’ve reviewed the top products out there to help you find the best grass seed for clay soil. In addition, there will also be some tips and tricks for you.
Best Grass Seed for Clay Soil Reviews
Here are the reviews of the top 10 grass seeds for you to get an idea about what kind of features they have.
The Scotts Turf Builder seed is undoubtedly one of the best, if not the very best, grass seed for clay soil for all the right reasons. Coated with Scott’s very own patented WaterSmart PLUS coating, this product is amazing at absorbing water and keeping all the diseases away.
Often lawn owners fret about not being able to grow grass because the weather is too sunny or the lawn is too shady. Well, this seed is the best solution for all of them since it can grow at an amazing speed irrespective of the sun or shade. This definitely gives it a huge plus point.
The packaging comes with clear, to the point instructions, that make it very easy for even first-timers to use. The bag can also be sealed after opening, so you don’t have to worry about making a mess with an open bag falling down or about the seeds getting damaged.
This seed provides for the richest shade of green and gives a very lush feeling to your lawn. Its high spreading ability makes sure that there are no bare spots or patches left, and the end result is a beautiful, even coating of rich green that everyone wants.
- Works wonderfully under all weather conditions
- High spreading ability
- High protecting power against diseases
- Coated in special WaterSmart PLUS coating
- Can absorb high amounts of water
- The resealable bag helps in using only as much as needed
- Grows sprouts very quickly
- Easy instructions provided
- Creates a rich, beautiful shade of green
For those who are looking for the best grass seed for clay soil to use in the full sun, the zenith zoysia seeds are an excellent pick. These seeds are good to use in both the full sun and partial shade.
These seeds grow well in the hot climate; the warmth of the soil is proved to speed up its germination rate. Therefore, planting this at the end of Spring will get you results in 10-14 days of time.
The seeds can tolerate traffic after they have been planted, so you do not have to worry about your kids or pets stepping over those freshly planted ones. They require a little to no maintenance till they have fully grown up – just things like adding some fertilizer before planting and some water after should suffice.
Each bag can cover up to 2000 square feet, which is quite an impressive range compared to others and weighs about two pounds. All in all, this product definitely is worth the price and gives quite amazing results to those who use it.
- Can tolerate extreme weather conditions
- Best for spring season
- Fresh seeds have the highest germination rate
- Grows in around 14-21 days
- Grows well in both full sun and partial shade
- Can tolerate drought
- Requires minimum care
- Does not falter under traffic
- Can cover up to 2000 square feet
This grass seed is made with tall fescue grass seeds, which does not require much water and, therefore, can survive in full sun. Its coating helps it to absorb twice as much water as uncoated seeds, making this a better alternative over them.
The product can spread easily and fill in all spots, so there is no unevenness in the soil. It can seed up to areas with 1750 square feet at a time, so one bag goes a long way.
While some grass seeds only make the grass look good, this grass seed makes sure that it works well too. Therefore, the new grass that grows is resistant to drought, insects, and sun, making this an ideal choice for the toughest soil out there.
The packaging has clear instructions written on it, which makes it very easy for anyone to use. The bag can also be sealed if not used fully at once. The grass usually starts growing after 4-6 days of planting.
- Absorbs twice as much water as uncoated seeds
- Made with fescue grass seeds
- Prevents diseases
- Spreads quite easily
- Packaging provides clear instructions
- Resealable bag
- Can seed up to 1750 square feet
If you ask anyone to name the most popular grass seeds out there, you are sure to hear the Jonathan Green Black Beauty name a bit too many times. This seed has been used by a lot of generations in their times, and for all the right reasons.
Comprised of some of the most amazing seeds out there, this mixture is sure to obtain all their wonderful benefits. While the Fescue and the Bluegrass contribute to the lush green look it gives, the rye seeds contribute to faster germination.
This mixture makes sure to cover all the damaged spots across the lawns, and gives a healthy look to the lawn. It is designed to adapt quickly to clay or sandy soils and works under both full and partial shade.
A special wax-like coating makes this seed disease and drought resistant, adding further to its list of qualities. Since it is free of unnecessary fillers, a 25-pound bag cover up to 10000 square feet of area for you, but only if you are reseeding and not seeding for the first time.
- Contains various species of grass seeds
- The Fescue and Bluegrass seeds in the mix give a rich, lush green result
- Rye seeds contribute to faster germination rate
- Blue-Tastic Bluegrass helps to cover all damaged areas and spots
- Specially formulated to grow in sandy or clay soils
- Can grow in both full and partial shade
- The special coating helps prevent diseases
- Drought resistant
- Free of unnecessary fillers
- Can cover up to 10,000 square feet
This product is made with a blend of Fescue and tall Blue Grass, both of which are responsible for its high durability. The nutrients in this mix contribute to grass growing quicker over the same period.
The seeds are coated in the famous WaterSmart Plus coating patented by Scott and does a very well job in warding off unwanted diseases. It also helps in retaining twice as much moisture as other uncoated kinds, so that is another huge advantage you can get.
Being drought resistant, this seed can tolerate quite unexpected weather conditions. It also does a great job in both full sun and partial shade and grows quicker than a lot of other seeds too.
The packets of this product can be sealed again after using it once and has clear instructions written on them. So as you can understand, it is quite easy to use this. A 20 lb packet goes a long way – it can cover up to 5000 square feet while surely filling in all sparse areas.
- Made with a blend of Fescue and tall Blue Grass
- Resistant to drought and diseases
- Covered with Scott’s special patented 4 in 1 WaterSmart Plus coating
- Absorbs twice as much water as uncoated seeds
- Full of nutrients
- Grows quite quickly
- Does well under full sun and partial shade
- Can seed up to 5000 square feet of areas
- Packet is sealable after use
- Easy instructions provided
Are you exasperated with your efforts to find the one grass seed that will work underneath a shade instead of the sun? In a market full of seeds claiming to work under full sun, it can be quite a tiring job to find something that works in the dense shade too.
Well, this product definitely will fix all your troubles. Formulated especially for medium to dense shady areas, the seed does its job in both sandy and clay soil. So this is a blessing to those lawn owners who were worried about finding the perfect product for their requirements.
The seeds have a wax-like coating around them that helps them in preserving moisture. This contributes to their low maintenance; not much water or soil is required once you have finished planting them.
The Fescue and Blue Grass contribute to the deep rootedness of this seed, so it is quite durable. It even competes with tree roots for water, which is something you do not hear from grassroots often surely!
- Can grow in densely shaded areas
- Suitable for both clay soil and sandy soil
- Great for resistance against insects
- Coated with a waxy substance that aids in retaining moisture
- Quite low maintenance
- Highly durable
The Canadian Green Grass Seed is known as a product almost too good to be true because of its various wonderful characteristics. There is almost nothing wrong with this bag of seeds, as sworn by its users and the amazing features it has.
The seed is mainly a mix of various components as Blue Grass and Red Flowers, which help the growth of healthy grass. The end result is always a lush shade of green, even on lawns and fields where it seems impossible to achieve that kind of look.
One of the biggest advantages of this seed mix is that it is not only insect resistant, but also weed resistant. Therefore, you do not have to worry about any extra unwanted growth and cutting. It spreads evenly across all the areas it has been planted in and creates a beautiful coat that stays all year long.
Most grass seeds do not work well in extreme temperatures. But this mix scores high in that area too. And not only that, it can be used in any kind of soil, be it clay or sandy. A bag can last you up to 3000 square feet, and give you the most wonderful quality grass you can ever get.
- Comprised of Kentucky Blue Grass, Rye Grass, and Red Flowers
- Starts growing within 2 weeks
- The end result is a beautiful lush green
- Tolerant of even extreme weather conditions
- Can grow in all soil types
- Bugs and weed resistant
- Stays all year long
- Spread to all bare patches
- Needs to be mown
- Can be used for up to 3000 square feet
The Jonathan fast grow grass seed mix is comprised of various species such as the Blue Grass, Rye Grass, and Kentucky. Of them, Rye grass contributes for the most parts and is responsible for its famous growth rate.
If you have an area that you need to grow grass in as soon as possible, there is no better alternative to you than this product. This product goes deep into the soil quickly and starts growing within 6 days – which is faster than you will get with any such kind.
Another one of its advantages is that this seed is known to stabilize the soil and prevent it from being eroded. This makes sure that the grass is healthy and beautiful, as well as fast-growing.
The product is best planted in months March – June or August– October when the temperature reaches 55 degrees Fahrenheit. It works well under full sun and partial shade and can cover up to 1500 square feet of area.
- Great for stabilizing the soil and preventing soil erosion
- Designed with a blend of various species
- Rye grass promotes fast growth
- Starts germinating within 6 days
- Works well under full sun and partial shade
- The plantation is done ideally when the temperature reaches 55°F
- Can cover up to 1500 square feet of area
Made with a blend of various species such as Fescue, Perennial Rye Grass, and Blue Grass, this seed mix offers a huge load of benefits. It is completely resistant to insects and droughts, and you do not have to worry about your beautiful lawn anymore once the grass has grown.
The Mountain View seed features a special kind of coating known as the WaterSmart QS. This coating captures and releases water into the seeds so that it stays in an environment full of moisture. This, in turn, helps the grass need less and less water once it is planted.
While most grass seeds do not grow well in extreme climates, this one is suitable to use in any climate. Therefore, it does not matter whether your lawn is going through a fierce winter or a scorching summer; your grass will be beautiful anyway.
One thing that separates this grass seed from others is that it contains no fillers or additives. As a result, you only get a pure blend of various species of seeds. Usually, the seeds will start to germinate in 6 to 14 days of time.
- Made with a blend of various species
- Insect and disease resistant
- Works well in both sun and shade
- Covered in WaterGuard QS coating which facilitates needing less water
- Starts germinating within a week
- Has no fillers or unnecessary additives in it
- Is suitable to use in all climates
- Starts germinating in 6 to 14 days
Enriched with all the proper nutrients to prepare a lawn for the Winter, the Scotts WinterGuard lawn food ensures that you do not have to face a withering lawn. This fertilizer should be used ideally in the fall season so that your lawn is prepared for the Winter.
The ingredients in the fertilizer work well to reverse all the damages done by months or even years of heat, drought, and insects to the lawns. The end result is healthy, lush green grass that is stronger than ever.
Another one area that this product will help you in is the roots of the grass. This fertilizer is comprised of various nutrients that contribute to deeper roots. It will also allow the roots to drink up more water than an unfertilized lawn will ever be able to.
The best news about this product is, you do not have to use it with one particular grass type. Instead, it can be used on any grass you want! It can also cover up to 5000 square feet of area, so it is indeed quite a deal.
- Helps repair all damages done from heat and drought
- Contributes to deeper roots
- Prepares the lawn with all needs for the Winter
- Ideal to use in the Fall season
- Works well with any grass type
- Covers up to 5000 square feet
- Increases the grass’ water retaining ability